Chaske Spencer and Julia Jones
Take some vampires (good and bad), some werewolves and a love triangle involving a human, and what do you have? “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse,” the third movie in the series. A crucial part of the story is the Wolf Pack, a Native American tribe of werewolves that lead a peaceful existence except when they have to battle against enemies. In “Eclipse,” the Wolf Pack joins forces with the good-vampire Cullen family to save human teenager Bella Swan (played by Kristen Stewart) from being killed by evil vampires who are out to get her.
Bella’s connection to the Wolf Pack is her close friend Jacob Black (played by Taylor Lautner), who is part of the werewolf tribe and who is in love with Bella, even though she is steadfastly devoted to her vampire boyfriend, Edward Cullen (played by Robert Pattinson). At a Los Angeles press conference for “Eclipse,” Wolf Pack members Chaske Spencer (who plays Sam Uley), Alex Meraz (who plays Paul) and Julia Jones (who plays Leah Clearwater) sat down for a candid interview about their characters and how the “Twilight” franchise has changed their lives.
Julia, how was it joining the Wolf Pack and being one of the few female members?
Jones: You know, it happened really fast. All of a sudden you’re kind of thrown into this group of boys and, for me personally, I was a tomboy growing up so it felt really familiar. I have a younger brother who’s about the same age as some of them. And so there was something that resonated initially. But over the course of filming and some of the press that we’ve been doing, it’s like home. It just feels like family now, and it’s great.
Tinsel Korey, Chaske Spencer, Tyson Houseman, Bronson Pelletier, Kiowa Gordon and Alex Meraz in “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse”
Were you a fan of the first two “Twilight” films? Did you know about it since you were thrown in so quickly?
Jones: I have a lot of friends who are big fans. I had never read them before, but I actually had a very good friend of mine was telling me about this role of Leah Clearwater in the “Twilight” movies. She said, “They’re going to make a movie out of it, and it’s you. This is going to be your role.” And you know, it’s something you hear and it just went in one ear and out the other. Like, “That’s sweet. She wants the best for me” or whatever.
And then when I got the call for the audition, I’ve never had this happen before but it was about this time last year and I was watching, I think, the Boston Celtics/Lakers game at some crazy place. I get this call for this audition and all I heard was, “You have an audition on Monday for Leah Clearwater in ‘Twilight.’”‘ And I had this visceral reaction — my heart started beating really fast and I had to breathe. I don’t know, it was very strange. And then I went to work.
“The Twilight Saga: New Moon” co-stars Alex Meraz, Chaske Spencer, Bronson Pelletier and Kiowa Gordon
For the guys, how was it working with “Eclipse” director David Slade this time compared to working with “New Moon” director Chris Weitz?
Spencer: They’re both really good directors. With David, he’s very precise in what he wants. He knows exactly, and so did Chris. But what I liked about David is it’s fast; it’s quick. I like working with different directors, it keeps you on your toes. He’s a sweet, charming man. I’ve seen his movies, the vampire [film] “30 Days of Night.” I saw that about a year before that. Yeah, with him it was just real fast. It was really fast, for me anyway, my experience with him.
Meraz: I enjoyed working with him for the fact that I experiment doing short films, and being a filmmaker and seeing his process he’s very much a filmmaker and not so much just a director. There’s moments where he threatens to just actually get the camera himself and film it. He’s so involved. He always has a camera wrapped around his neck and he’s documenting the whole process. So that was really exciting to see, and inspiring.
And Chris Weitz, he’s just incredible. I mean, he’s such a gentleman and for me, entering this phenomenon that is “Twilight,” it was really great to have someone at the helm like that to just kind of guide us into it smoothly. And now that we’ve transitioned into another film, we kind of know the gist. We know where to go with it, and David was just a great person to take on the franchise.
A scene from “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse”
What was the hardest scene to do and why?
Jones: Actually, I think the hardest scene was also the most fun for me. There was a scene towards the end of the film in the midst of the big battle, and it was raining and it was cold. There were so many characters in it so it was pretty chaotic on set, and it all had to happen really, really fast.
I think it was a scene that was originally scheduled to be completed in two days and it wound up taking at least twice that time to finish. And it was chaotic and it was demanding physically, and it was demanding because you were freezing and wearing very little. It was also demanding emotionally. That was the challenge, but after a certain point you just sort of enjoyed yourself because really it doesn’t get better than that. You’re with a bunch of great people and a gorgeous place doing what you love.
Meraz: I think the hardest scene is the scene she’s talking about. We’re running and it’s raining, and there’s about a foot of water …
Jones: Tell them what happened to you.
Click here to read the rest of the article!
source




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.